China is the world’s second-largest theatrical movie market, as of 2018 its growth slowed down. It grew 9%, which was slower than the year before at 13.5%.
Although the growth slowed, it still meets its government set 2018 box-office target. According to Variety, “Chinese-language films brought in $5.53 billion (RMB37.8 billion) in 2018, making up 62% of the total box office, the official Xinhua news agency said, citing data from the country’s State Film Administration. Three huge homegrown hits alone accounted for 17% of the total.”
Here‘s a list of movies that dominates the Chinese box office in 2018:
1. Operation Red Sea: $530 million
2. Detective Chinatown 2: $494 million
3. Dying to Survive: $450 million
4. Hello Mr. Billionaire: $371 million
5. Avengers: Infinity War: $347 million